Advisory Council of Tennessee Indian Affairs|
November 18, 2006
Artist's Corner, Crossville, TN
10:24am CST - meeting called to order by Chairman David Teat
Prayer led by Odene Kirk.
Request for changes to be made to agenda:
Motion to accept changes to agenda made by Don Merzlak, motion seconded by Tommy Veal, motion carried.
A report from the TCIA was not given as no commissioners were present.
Report from TNNAC to be given later in the meeting (no report given).
Financial report given by David Teat:
Only a rough draft of the minutes from the previous ACTIA meeting is available. In light of this, the minutes were not read and will not be approved at this time.
Comments from the Chair:
Motion made by Joe McCaleb that ACTIA spend $40.00 - $45.00 for flowers for Lynn Clayton, motion seconded by Tommy Veal, motion carried.
Archeological Committee - Joe McCaleb stated that TDOT is working on a manual for environmental issues pertaining to the NHP Act and Archeological Act and what to do with sites and graves of the Native American.
David Teat requested a list from Tommy Veal of all Native interest
Tribal Recognition/Native History Committee - Melba Checote-Eads stated we need to encourage TCIA to get all their forms ready for tribal recognition. Melba also stated that the TCIA needs to better keep the public aware of its activities.
No other committee reports were given at this time.
1. Request was made for confirmation of Deborah Kirk Rodriguez as an ACTIA member-at-large. Motion made by Don Merzlak to confirm Deborah, motion seconded by Melba Checote-Eads, motion carried.
David Teat requested that Winona Yellowhammer and Odene Kirk consider sitting on the Advisory Council Board.
2. Request was made for volunteers to help with updating past meeting minutes. Motion made by Tommy Veal for each board member to take a meeting and transcribe notes, motion seconded by Melba Eads, motion carried.
Motion made by Joe McCaleb to give a 6 month timeline for completion of past minutes, motion seconded by Tommy Veal, motion carried.
3. David Teat, will contact Senator Harper's to make an appointment for ACTIA to present a gift blanket to the Senator. Once the appointment is made, he will send the information to ACTIA via email. Possible delegates for the blanket presentation are: David Teat, Edna Faye, John Hedgecoth, tom kunesh, and Melba Checote-Eads.
4. A motion was made by Melba Checote-Eads to form a committee to draft a letter seeking information from existing organizations in order to provide general information to ACTIA, motion was seconded by Tommy Veal, motion carried.
5. Melba Checote-Eads suggested that ACTIA make an encouragement list for TCIA to follow through with the resolutions that have been passed but not acted on, by TCIA, in priority of when they have been passed.
Tom suggested we make plans for each of the resolutions in order to succeed with state legislature.
Motion made by Joe McCaleb to ask the Commission to make the following resolutions a priority: Sunset Review Questionnaire and Tribal Recognition petition. Motion seconded by Don Merzlak, motion carried.
A motion was made by Don Merzlak that ACTIA volunteer to assist the TCIA with the Sunset Review Questionnaire, and if so, requests the Commission to direct their legal counsel to send the TCIA responses on the Sunset Review Questionnaire to ACTIA in order to compile and format the responses into an integral response to give to the state legislature in order to meet the deadline. Motion seconded by Tommy Veal, motion carried.
Motion made by Joe McCaleb that ACTIA offer to help the TCIA develop a petition form for Tribal Recognition. ACTIA offers to research and review recognition petitions currently in place in other states and offers to research Federal recognition petitions. Motion seconded by Tommy Veal, motion carried.
Motion made by Melba Checote-Eads to break for lunch, motion seconded by Joe McCaleb, motion carried.
1:22pm CST, meeting break for lunch
2:31pm CST, re-adjourned: meeting called back to order by David Teat
1. David Teat requested that ACTIA create a second vice-chair position to serve and spread out the work load of the chair.
2. Joe McCaleb opened the floor for nominations for Chair of the Advisory Council:
Motion made by Melba Checote-Eads to cease nominations, motion seconded by Don Merzlak, motion carried.
Motion made by Don Merzlak to accept David Teat as Chair of ACTIA, motion seconded by tom kunesh, motion carried.
David Teat elected as Chair of ACTIA for 2007.
3. David Teat opened the floor for nominations for Vice-Chair of ACTIA
Joe McCaleb elected as Vice Chair of ACTIA for 2007.
Chair handed over to Joe McCaleb.
4. David Teat nominated Deborah Kirk Rodriguez as interim Secretary for ACTIA
Deborah Kirk Rodriguez elected as interim Secretary for ACTIA to take minutes at the ACTIA meetings.
5. The discussion on purchasing a tape recorder for meeting notes is tabled. Costs will be researched and discussed online.
6. $71.00 was received at the meeting and will be added to the
7. Motion made by Don Merzlak for ACTIA to retain Joe McCaleb's service as legal council pro bono, motion seconded by Tommy Veal, motion carried.
8. Motion made by tom kunesh for ACTIA to send letter of commendation to MTSU on behalf of MTSU Powwow, motion seconded by Joe McCaleb, motion carried.
9. Motion made by Don Merzlak to send letter of recommendation, on behalf of Michael Lynch, to State of Tennessee for appointment to State of Tennessee Archeology Commission. Motion seconded by Joe McCaleb, motion carried.
10. Motion made by tom kunesh to accept the draft proposed amendments to the ACTIA bylaws as amended on this date, November 18, 2006. Motion seconded by Joe McCaleb, motion carried.
11. The discussion and setting of new goals by ACTIA for the New Year tabled for the next meeting.
12. Motion made by tom kunesh that ACTIA affirm and recommend the August 5, 2006, Recognition Criteria and adoption of same by the Commission. Motion seconded by Don Merzlak, motion carried.
13. Motion made by tom kunesh to set the date of the next ACTIA meeting for Sunday, February 18th, 2007, location to be determined. Motion seconded by Don Merzlak, motion carried.
Closing prayer led by Don Merzlak.
Motion to adjourn meeting made by Don Merzlak, motion seconded by Tommy Veal, motion carried.
Meeting adjourned at 4:42pm CST.
Note: Minutes are not official until approved.
Approved January 19, 2007.